Cotton buds are so common. Perhaps even more common than a common man (or woman – we don’t support sexism). But have you ever given a thought about their utility? Clearing the God-awful wax built up in the ears is one, but can you think of something else?
It might surprise you a bit, but cotton buds are actually multitaskers hiding in plain sight. Just like people fail to realise that Clarke Kent is Superman in disguise (did we give away some spoilers here?), most people also fail to realise the hidden potential of reusable cotton buds. Certainly not a one-trick pony!
“Mirror, Mirror on the wall…”
At some point in our lives, we all have asked our reflective friend the same questions. Trying different beauty products can be helpful, but learning some easy makeup tricks using organic cotton buds can amp up your beauty regimen.
- Runny lipstick? Dip a cotton bud in some translucent powder and swipe it along your lip line. It will give you a pout that would give Angelina a run for her money!
- Are long eyelashes your dream? Apply one coat of mascara. Dip a cotton bud in some translucent powder and run it along lashes before applying another coat. The ends result? More voluminous eyelashes that appear to be longer.
- Can’t apply makeup without messing it up at least once? Cotton buds to the rescue! Clean your eyeliner and mascara mistakes by dabbing a little bud into some coconut oil or concealer and swiping it across the area where you made a mistake.
- Want to remove your eye make-up with precision? Dab a bud in make-up remover (good old coconut oil will do, too) and rub it gently over the lashes. Squeaky clean lashes, sans the mess.
- If your eyes are undergoing post-makeup hangover (read sore and puffy), dip the end of two soft bamboo cotton buds into your eye cream and leave them in the freezer for some time. Use the buds around your sockets and all the puffiness will go away faster than an ostrich (the bird may look silly, but it actually runs pretty fast!)
- Dreaming of cheekbones that could rival Keira Knightley? Line up a cotton bud below your cheekbone and use another bud coated in a bronzer or dark foundation to trace a line of it. Blend and buff with a clean bud and voila!
- Who doesn’t admire Cara Delevingne’s brows? Attaining such beautiful eyebrows might seem a tad difficult, but with the help of a cotton bud, it’s a child’s play! All you have to do is tame and define your eyebrows by dipping a bud into some Vaseline and sweeping across them.
“Enough about beauty tips! Is there any other wonderous way in which cotton buds could be used?”
If the above question popped up in your mind, you are in luck today! The utility of these multitaskers is not limited to being an excellent beauty tool. Owing to their small size, cotton buds can easily get into nooks and crannies that even Ant Man can’t get into (no kidding there). That way, they make excellent cleaning tools as well!
- Intending to give your “Precious” a good clean? Just dip the buds into cleaning solution or soapy water and use them to clean your jewellery and other valuable items.
- Working from home can be quite messy, especially if you have developed a habit of eating right by your laptop. If you have a crumb-filled keyboard (nothing to be ashamed of, really, we are that messy too!), use a soapy cotton bud to clean it up.
- Ever wondered how to clean a dirty washing machine filter, crevices of your car, dusty vents on the hairdryer, or any similar surface that reminds you of Area 51 in the US? Well, that ‘area’ might be off bounds, but these areas aren’t, especially when you have the mighty little cotton bud by your side.
“Sounds interesting! Any other miracles these teeny tiny buds can work?”
Of course, they can. When it comes to utility, cotton buds are no less than The Great Houdini – always a trick or two up the sleeve. Apart from being great makeup and cleaning tools, cotton buds are quite versatile assistants in different roles. If we were to write up a CV for these buds, they would land a high-paying job in a jiffy! Here are a few more highlights from their diverse skill set:
- Cotton buds are amazing perfume applicators. If you are tired of lugging a huge bottle of Dior in your handbag, there can be no better bud-dy for you than cotton buds. Just spritz the ends of a bud with the perfume of your choice and store them in an airtight plastic bag. Whenever you need to spritz, reach out for the buds, apply them to your pulse points and you’ll be smelling divine in no time.
- Need to attend an urgent meeting but got no time for a root touch up? Cotton buds will have that covered! Choose an eyeshadow that matches your hair colour and dab a bud in it. Use it on your root line and that pesky regrowth will be covered up instantly!
- If you have a jammed zipper on your favourite clothes, cotton buds can be your saving grace. Simply dip the end of a bud into some olive oil or shampoo and rub it on the jammed zipper. That should loosen it.
If there is a problem, there is a cotton bud solution to it. All you need to do is keep your buddies close and cotton buds closer!